Mar 7, 2012

Recap: Banff Mountain Film Festival 2012

Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with the Banff Mountain Film Festival and chose to attend it and write about it out of personal interest.

Last night was the night: the Banff Mountain Film Festival World Tour 2012 came to Salzburg! Throughout the day I felt pretty exhausted but thinking back to last year's festival soon had me convinced to check it out again this year. And I was not disappointed.
The films were shown in Salzburg's Elmo Kino and it was packed! I hadn't seen a lot of ads for the festival beforehand so I was curious to see how many people would show up and I was definitely surprised.

In Austria, Germany, and Switzerland, the best films from the the Banff Mountain Film Festival in Canada are being shown:

*Blue Obsession
*Chasing Water
*Towers of Ennedi
*All. I. Can.
*23 Feet
*Origins: Obe & Ashima
*Treeverse

Some quick facts about the festival:

*It was first launched in 1976
*Banff is a small town in the Canadian province of Alberta
*The Banff National Park is a UNESCO World Heritage Site
*Banff Mountain Film Festival World Tour audience: 280,000+ in 30 countries

I did enjoy all of the films shown. However, I particularly enjoyed the videography of Chasing Waters, a documentary by the photo journalist Pete McBride who followed the Colorado River from its well to its (estuary) mouth.
All. I. Can. was also a very impressive CO2-neutral skiing documentary. This documentary won the "Best Feature-Length Mountain Film" at the Banff Mountain Film Festival this year. 

Towers of Ennedi - © Jimmy Chin

To recap: The festival was great again this year and got me thinking. First, I can't wait to travel again. I was about to just pack my backpack and go wherever. Second, in the documentaries it became obvious that the world and the environment is changing. Therefore it is time to rethink our attitude towards nature and respond to the signs. The Banff Mountain Film Festival is an important contributor to raising awareness for our planet's beauty as well as its fragility. So if you ever get the chance to check it out, do it!

1 comment:

  1. wow that photograph is amazing... now i want to go there.

    ReplyDelete