Mar 25, 2012

A Little Stroll through Salzburg

As I've mentioned before, I had a visitor in February: my friend and roomie for life Yuna came to visit me for a couple of days. It was February, we were on holidays, and it was Fasching, aka Mardi Gras, season.
We had a couple of days to discover the whole city and spent one of those days in the countryside, visiting my parents. 
The rest of the time was spent wandering around Salzburg, enjoying the sun when it decided to delight us with its presence, and working our way through a number of cafes. 

Day 1, which happened to be Sunday, was spent strolling around the old town of Salzburg which was listed as a UNESCO world heritage site in 1997. Sightseeing takes a lot outta you so we quickly stopped for coffee and hot chocolate with rum and some cake.

Residenz

Residenz

Manner Cafe
Later that day, we discovered a, thus far unknown to me, cemetery! My love for cemeteries is no secret so I really enjoyed the stroll around the Sebastianskirche and Friedhof. The highlight of this discovery was the fantastic smell of incense everywhere.





After the cemetery, the weather started to get real nasty so we decided to head back home for some dinner. Also, we decided to head into town again in the evening to watch The Artist in Das Kino.

The next day, we discovered the rest of Salzburg: Mirabell, the cathedral, St. Peter cemetery, to name but a few. Right now there's a great installation in the "basement" of the cathedral:


On Fat Tuesday/Mardi Gras we headed to Hellbrunn. Smart person that I am, I left my camera at home and so could only take pictures with my phone, but that's going to be another blog post in the near future.
For now, just a quick glance on what we were up to at night:

The "Before" Picture

Even though I got to dress up for Halloween in Maine and I went to celebrate Mardi Gras in New Orleans, it was great to experience this tradition in Austria again. It was even greater to show and share this all with Yuna! Needless to say, the next day I was slightly under the weather ;) But I did enjoy yet another spectacular view of "my" mountain, the Untersberg.





1 comment:

  1. Das Zeug ausm Manner Cafe schaut vooiii gut aus! Das letzte Bild gfallt ma auch ganz besonders :)

    ReplyDelete