Jan 2, 2011

Day 6: The capital and some sense of home

Howdy, y'all. After a way too quiet New Year's Eve (because of some family "feud" I prefer not to go into detail here), I ended up drinking half a bottle of champagne with my mom and going to bed way too early. But let's say another resolution, and personal mantra anyway, is to look at the bright side of things and take them as they come. So this is me being positive (and maybe a little crazy).

Too cool for school

Today, due to an early bedtime last night, I got up pretty early and after a nice, big breakfast my family and me left our hotel to conquer Austin. From what I can tell, Austin is a great city and I could definitely imagine living there for a while at some point. Most of the time we just strolled around and enjoyed the still quiet city before we headed to the State Capitol, which is actually taller than the Capitol in Washington, D.C. Neat, right?

Downtown Austin


State Capitol
We spent lunchtime at a small farmer's market in the Market District where I had delicious tamales for lunch and some actual good coffee. Another reason why I really like Austin. Today was yet another beautiful day and after walking around for quite a bit in Austin, we left the state capital and headed west to Hill Country.
Gas Station in Hill Country

Our final destination today was Fredericksburg, a town where loads of German settlers stayed. Hence the name, amazing, right? Along the way there one could definitely see that many Germans settled in this region because many roads, towns, and shops had German names. Almost felt like home (except maybe for the landscape with cacti etc.).  When we arrived it was still really sunny and I realized that may face was actually a little red because I spent the whole day outside and wasn't used to that much sunshine anymore.




No comments:

Post a Comment